Mountain Lakes Shade Tree Commission
Minutes of Meeting
May 12, 2011
Commissioners in attendance: S. Marshall, J. Best, M. Vyff, J. Eveleth and H. Carr
1. There were no comments from the public.
2. April minutes were approved with one correction.
3. Arbor Day was a success. It went well without a skit or story reading. The new principle was helpful and Doug McWilliams did a great job standing in for the mayor. Marnie has all the documentation papers and will pass them on to be put in the Arbor Day file at DPW. Great job Marnie, many thanks.
4. The Cove Project will be updated at the next meeting.
5. An official letter from the State of New Jersey has been received reminding the commission that The Community Forestry Management Plan update is due by the end of 2011. Joan has contacted John Linson urging him to move the process along.
6. The Ň100 TreesÓ program is underway but needs better exposure. The link to the flier on our website is not prominent enough and it is almost impossible to find on the Centennial page. Sue has listed the flier in the Bulletin. It will go on the Borough notice page and in the virtual back pack. We need to put fliers up around town and an article will be written for submission in the Mountain Lakes Magazine, Citizen and Neighbor News.
7. Street Tree Management forms have been re-typed by Consuelo and will be put on the website.
8. The Esplanade is getting attention from DPW. New walls are going in, benches are being made and a wedding is scheduled to be held there in the near future.
9. Tom contacted Beaver Brook Sawmill. They are not interested in paying us for the wood left after our yearly prune and remove. They would remove it for free if the wood was moved to a central location for pick up. We donŐt have the recourses to make that feasible.
10. Long time commissioners have expressed a need to move off the commission in the future sighting burnout. We are down a member since Laura is leaving and need to find new members with interest in taking over key positions in the Shade Tree Commission.
11. Homeowners at 131 Lake Drive have been given permission to remove a tree in the right of way to make a circular driveway. A new shade tree will be planted there. Spring is here and all commissioners need to keep an eye on their areas with concern for tree protection.
Next meeting will be held on June 9th