|March 17, 1911||The first house occupied in Mountain Lakes was at 46 Dartmouth Road.|
|December 1914||The first public library was opened by the Mountain Lakes Woman’s Club in the Lake Drive School building. It had 100 volumes donated by members of the club. At the end of 2004, the library had 39,953 books, 3,836 audio materials and 1,579 videos/DVD’s.|
|1916||The library was incorporated.|
|1920||The Woman’s Club turned the library over to a Board of Trustees who continues to govern the library.|
|1922||The library joined the Morris County Library Association and continues as an active member. This association is currently, M.A.I.N., Inc., and as a member library, Mountain Lakes patrons can use their library card at all libraries in Morris County including the Morris County Library. They can also order materials from all libraries online. The library participates in an online catalog and a central computerized circulation system.|
|1930 – 1954||The library was housed in a former store on Midvale Road, currently the site of “The Market”.|
|June 15, 1954||The library moved into a new building at 9 Elm Road on land deeded to the library by the Borough of Mountain Lakes. The building was designed by noted architect H. Vernon Lee.|
|June 1966||A wing that nearly doubled the available space was added to the library. This addition included the Children’s Room and the downstairs meeting room.|
|June 1980||Was designated as a 501 © (3) exempt organization under the Internal Revenue Code.|
|September 1996||The library was renovated to enhance space utilization and accommodate technology resources. Office space, a handicapped bathroom and a networked computer system including an on-line catalog available to the public were the major changes.|
|April 2002||The Children’s Room was expanded. The space was enlarged by an addition of 434 square feet in a wing opening from the original room, making the total square footage of the Children’s Room, 938 square feet.|
|2006||Renovation to downstairs meeting room.
Room made handicapped accessible with a bathroom at room level.
Archive Room enlarged.
New heating and air conditioning installed
Community Meeting Room dedicated to: Marion Mann Roberts and Alfred W. Roberts
|2012||Teen/YA Area redesigned.
Reading Room renovated and redecorated.
Renovation dedicated to:
Ellen Parks Connors, Assistant Librarian 1987-2011, funded through her Memorial Fund.
Main Library, including the Children’s Room:
Lower Level Meeting Room:
Total Library Size:
From: Mountain Lakes Library Board of Trustees Report, 1972:
“Begun in 1914, the Library Association was incorporated in 1916. Started by the Woman’s Club of Mountain Lakes, the local library began when members donated an initial collection of 100 books, opened facilities in a school building and served as volunteer librarians. When the Association formed, families contributed to the maintenance and growth of the Library by membership fees. The Mountain Lakes Library joined the County Library system at its inception in 1922 and continues as a member.”
David Kingsley, President