All Borough Facilities are currently open.
Mountain Lakes Rules for Birchwood and Island Beaches
Beach Rules and Enforcement
- Recreational facilities are open dawn to dusk. Volleyball is open until 11pm.
- Lifeguards are in full charge of the beach
- Beach is open to residents only
- Beach tags are required for residents 3 years and older when lifeguards are on duty
- Proof of residency is required at all other times
- Beach tags are non-transferable
- Beach tags and privileges attached may be withdrawn for misconduct or using a tag not registered to you
- Children who must be accompanied by a person 16 years of age or older:
- All children under 10 years of age
- Children 10 years through 12 years who have not passed the swim test and received a swim badge
- Swim badges must be worn on the suit
- Children 12 years and under without a swim badge are restricted to shallow water areas
- Adult swimmers over 12 years of age and children who are wearing swim badges:
- May use deep water areas (swim lanes, rafts, and diving boards)
- May use inflatable rafts and tubes
- No personal floatation devices (bubbles, vests, floaties, lifejackets, etc.) of any kind except in swim classes.
- No running, pushing, or roughhousing on beach, rafts, or docks.
- Ball playing only at the far end of the beach
- No glass containers on the beach
- No alcoholic beverages permitted
- No dogs permitted on the beach
- Special events require permits
- No fishing allowed on the beaches or docks at any time during the summer.
- No sitting or waiting on the floating docks.
- All of the following are closed to the public:
- Drinking fountains
- Picnic areas
- Port-a-potties will be available in addition to bathrooms until further notice. They will be cleaned weekly.
- Restrooms will be open during beach hours and will be maintained. Only one person may use the restroom at a time.
- Beachgoers must maintain a distance of 6 feet between other groups and must obey all social distancing guidelines. Social distancing guidelines are to be obeyed on the beach as well as in the water.
- Masks are mandatory by the state of New Jersey, if you are unable to Socially Distance 6 feet. Please respect each resident’s personal safety decisions (ex: to wear a mask/gloves or not) as long as they are not within 6 feet of another group.
- There will be a separate designated entrance and exit at each beach to ensure the safety of all residents entering and leaving.
- When there are enough lifeguards available to ensure safety, lanes at Birchwood will be open for one person or family per lane in order to comply with social distancing guidelines.
- Those who are 12 years and under may use the swim lanes only if they passed the beach test last summer.
- The capacity of the beaches will be set by the Officer of Emergency Management. Once the capacity has been reached, no new groups will be allowed on the beach until another group leaves so as to ensure the safety of all residents.
- Residents will be allowed on the beach on a first come, first serve basis.
- If max capacity has been reached, you will be asked by lifeguards to wait in your car. They will notify you when space is available. If you leave the beach area, your spot will be forfeited.
PUBLIC PARKS, PLAYGROUNDS AND FIELDS:
ALL township parks, playgrounds and fields are currently open. Please adhere to all posted rules and regulations.
Of course, our primary objective is to ensure everyone remains healthy and well. We will continue to monitor the situation and send out and/or post notification once we have a better knowledge of when different programs and facilities will be open to the public.
We will continue to take registration for all Recreation Programs as usual. Again, if we are unable to run or hold any program, we will issue refunds for the full amount. For further details, contact the Recreation Department through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.