In 2005, the majority of the Borough of Mountain Lakes became an historic district listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places. This is a source of immense pride for the Borough. The nomination to become an historic district was prepared by the HPC at the request of the Borough Council. The preparation took from 2001 to 2005, and involved approximately five dozen volunteers from town. The community volunteers and HPC committee members spent countless hours documenting our town in words, photographs, maps and slides; and researching the town’s history. The final document individually describes over 1700 properties, and is in excess of 300 pages. A copy of the full nomination can be found at the library and at Borough Hall.
The nomination document describes each property within the district by address, by date of construction, the block and lot numbers, and provides an architectural description of the main structure and all other structures on the property such as stone walls, garages, and boathouses; and a determination that the structure is contributing or non-contributing to the historic district. The nomination was presented by Joan Nix and Dr. Maria Iacullo-Bird to the New Jersey State Review Board for Historic Sites in April of 2005. The Board voted to put Mountain Lakes on the State Register and to send it on to the National Park Service for review, with a recommendation to put it on the National Register with state significance. In July of 2005 the Mountain Lakes Historic District was officially listed on the NJ State Register, and in September it was listed on the National Register.