Recylcing Importance & Protocol
There are designated drop off areas at the Borough Recycling Center for various recyclables. The facility is open to Borough residents Monday through Saturday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. Extended hours are in effect during the fall season on Saturdays and Sundays for leaf disposal. Compost and mulch, if available, may be picked up during these same hours. Home delivery of mulch and wood chips is available through the Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority MCMUA Vegetative Waste Recycling
Recyclable materials picked up at your home may also be brought to the Recycling Center:
- Commingled — One dumpster is provided for clean commingled plastics (#1, #2 and #5 only) , bottles and cans. NO PAPER OR PLASTIC BAGS IN THIS DUMPSTER. Use the scrap metal dumpster for all hard metals.
- Mixed Paper — One dumpster is provided for mixed paper. DO NOT PUT ANY OTHER PLASTIC BAGS OR NON-PAPER ITEMS IN THIS DUMPSTER.
- Scrap Metal — Appliances and hard metals (steel and aluminum) may be deposited in the Scrap Metal dumpster. Hard metals may not be included with the co-mingled bottles and cans.
- Electronic Waste — Computers, TV’s, printers, fax machines, cell phones and all other electronic waste may be placed outside the E-Waste container. Department personnel will stack the container for maximum load.
- Styrofoam – A container is provided for CLEAN styrofoam (#6); remove any foreign matter such as tape, stickers, labels and stickers. NO PACKING PEANUTS ALLOWED.
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs – A container is provided (next to styrofoam container) to dispose various sizes of fluorescent bulbs/tubes.
- Motor Oil and Anti-Freeze — Dispose of used motor oil and anti-freeze in designated containers.
- Batteries — Alkaline and carbon zinc non-rechargeable batteries (AAA, AA, C, D & 9V) manufactured after 1994 contain only trace amounts of mercury, are not recycled, and should be thrown out in the trash. Dispose of lead-acid batteries (automotive) in the shed area marked “Batteries.” Rechargeable batteries (and cell phones) are collected for recycling in the designated box in the DPW office.
- Clothing — Leave clothing and shoes ONLY in the designated bins. Any donations left outside the bins will be thrown away.
- Books — Deposit used and unwanted books in the green book bin. All usable books will be donated to charity organizations or resold. Any unusable books will be property recycled.
- Leaves — Deposit leaves in the area marked “Leaves Only” — NO plastic bags.
- Mixed brush — Deposit brush in the area marked “Brush.”
- Grass Clippings — Grass clippings are NOT accepted at this facility.
Other Recycle Options
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Other Options
There are many options for reducing the amount of trash you generate.
Gently used items can be resold on the Montville Twp/Mtn Lakes/Boonton Twp/Boonton Stuff For Sale facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/954067847966486/
Local area community donation centers include Big Brothers Big Sisters at 307 Route 46 East in Denville, and Goodwill at 266 Route 46 East in Rockaway. The Morris County MUA website offers an extensive list of local alternatives including internet based exchange links.
The independent Recycling NJ website offers alternatives for recycling items not accepted by the Borough. Check out What can I recycle? for a simple to use guide to recycling questions. Just click on the picture to find answers on a specific product.