During the COVID-19 pandemic, municipal courts have cancelled their in person court sessions. With the use of technology, certain cases may be able to be heard and adjudicated remotely. It is advised that you contact the court to set up a video court proceeding and provide your telephone and email address
New feature on NJMCDIRECT.COM accepting Criminal matter payments. Below is a step by step instruction on how to access it and process the payments.
The Borough of Mountain Lakes has entered into an Interlocal Shared Services Agreement with the Township of Denville for the provision of shared municipal court services. The court is now housed and operated in Denville.
Mountain Lakes Borough Municipal Court
1 Saint Mary’s Place
Denville, New Jersey 07834
Municipal Court Administrator, Silvya Luna Victoria
Phone: 973-625-8300 Ext. 214
Violation Bureau Hours:
Monday – Friday 8:00AM to 4:00PM
Court Sessions: Every 4th Thursday’s at 9 am
If you need the service of an interpreter, please notify the municipal court administrator prior to your court appearance. Please advise the municipal court office in advance if you require an ADA accommodation.
We are an independent branch of government constitutionally entrusted with the fair and just resolution of disputes in order to preserve the rule of law and to protect the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States and this State.
The Municipal Court has jurisdiction over the following types of cases:
- Motor Vehicle/Traffic & Parking Violations
- Forest and Parks Violations
- Disorderly Person/Petty Disorderly Persons Offense(DP/PDP Offenses)
- Weights and Measures Violations
- Violations of Penalty Enforcement Act
- Violations of Municipal Ordinances
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Division of Fish and Wildlife Violations
- Any other proceedings where jurisdiction is granted by statute.
STATEMENT OF CORE VALUES
There are four paramount values representing the core of what we stand for as an organization and to accomplish our mission:
- Quality Service
|Chief Judge:||Gerard Smith, JMC|
|Prosecutor:||Brian Mason, Esq.|
|Public Defender:||Clifford Weininger, Esq.|
|Forms of Payment Accepted:||Cash/Check/Money Order/Visa/Mastercard|
|Online Traffic Payments:||www.njmcdirect.com|
|ADA Coordinator:||Silvya Luna Victoria, MCA|
|Link to NJ Courts||www.njcourts.gov|
|Link to MVC (Fines/Penalties/Points):||www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/suspension.htm|
If you are charged with a disorderly persons offense, petty disorderly persons offense, or a municipal ordinance violations, and those charges are either dismissed, you are acquitted, or your case is discharged without a conviction or finding of guilt, you may be eligible for an expedited expungement pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:52-6. For more information and to determine if you are eligible, you may inquire with the municipal court at the time of disposition.
Mediation is a confidential, structured, non-adversarial process that allows a neutral third party to assist disputing parties in reaching a mutually acceptable solution. The mediation process can be a less expense, informal, and more meaningful alternative than the traditional trial process. This is because of the efforts of trained volunteers and the resolution being decided by the participants. The court will refer appropriate cases to mediation
- Welcome to the New Jersey Courts
- Bienvenido a los Tribunales de Nueva Jersey
- Your Rights as a Defendant in the Municipal Courts of the State of New Jersey
- Sus Derechos Como Acusado en los Juzgados Municipals del Estado de Nueva Jersey
- How to Make an Appeal Online
- Como Hacer una Apelacion en Linea
- How to Expunge Your Criminal and/or Juvenile Record
- Record Request Form